From the Director's Desk
Last week, Governor Ricketts delivered his annual State of the State Address to the Nebraska Legislature. During his remarks, the Governor proclaimed that the State of the State is strong, especially in the face of the many unprecedented challenges we’ve encountered over the last several years. This is in large part due to our State’s leading response to COVID-19, which is a direct reflection of the incredible work of our state teammates in providing essential services to Nebraskans over the past couple years.
The Governor highlighted a couple areas in his remarks that DAS played an important role in:
- Pandemic response: DAS contributed to the State’s pandemic response in a number of ways, including our Personal Protective Equipment procurement efforts and by helping to establish free accessible testing through TestNebraska.
- Historic compensation agreements: Our State Bargaining team worked diligently to reach multiple historic compensation agreements for our teammates, to help better attract and retain talent to our team at the State.
- Keeping veterans in Nebraska: DAS worked to make Nebraska the most military and veteran-friendly state in the country through a number of initiatives, including launching the Military Spouse Transition Program and implementing our Teammate Military Service Recognition Program.
- Revitalizing North Omaha: Our State Purchasing Bureau team implemented our Procurement Concierge Program which helps women-owned, minority-owned, and small businesses partner with the State, and our State Building Division team helped the Department of Economic Development open a field office in North Omaha.
The Governor also highlighted his priorities for this year:
- Continuing to provide Nebraskans much needed tax relief.
- Protecting public safety.
- Securing Nebraska’s water resources.
- Spending the State’s allocated American Rescue Plan Act funds responsibly.
You can find the full text of the Governor’s State of the State Address here. I’m extremely proud of the hard work of our teammates throughout state government in 2021, and am looking forward to us continuing on our mission to provide opportunity through more effective, more efficient, and customer-focused state government.
Director, Department of Administrative Services
More from the Director's Desk: