Welcome to the Risk Management page. The Risk Management division is responsible for the administration of the insurance program, workers’ compensation, and claims processing for the State of Nebraska. We look to minimize the risk of financial loss to the State through identification and analysis of risk to State teammates and State property.
Claims against the State of Nebraska and/or a State teammate must be filed with the Office of Risk Management. The State Risk Manager with the State Claims Board has the authority to approve/deny any tort, miscellaneous, or contract claim filed against the State of Nebraska.
State Claims Board
The Nebraska Legislature created the State Claims Board to provide uniform procedures for filing claims against the State and/or employee of the State. The Board has the authority to approve, deny, and adjust claims between $5,000.01 and $50,000.00.
- Nebraska Open Meetings Act: Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 84-1407 through 84-1414
- State Claims Board: Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 81-8,296 to 81-8,300
Next State Claims Board Meeting
November 17th, 2022
Department of Administration
1526 K Street, 2nd Floor, Buffalo Room
Lincoln, NE 68509-4974
A claim against the State of Nebraska for damage to or loss of property or for personal injury or death caused by the negligent or wrongful act or omission of a State employee while acting within the scope of employment.
- State Tort Claims Act at Neb. Rev. Stat §§81-8,209 to 81-8,235.
- Tort/Misc. Claim Form
- Standard Operating Procedures – How to File A Tort Claim
A claim against the State of Nebraska for which there is no specific provision of law for the resolution of such claim. Typically miscellaneous claims include but are not limited to: reimbursement for a State teammate’s personal property that was damaged during the course and scope of employment, or a reimbursement for overpayment of goods or services.
- State Miscellaneous Claims Act (includes uncashed warrants): Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 81-8,294 to 81-8,301
- Tort/Misc. Claim Form
- Tort/Misc. Claim Form for inmates at NDCS Only
- Standard Operating Procedures – How to File a Miscellaneous Claim
A claim to have an uncashed check/warrant reissued. These items expire one year after the date the check/warrant was issued. If a copy of the warrant is not available, an affidavit regarding the lost or missing warrant must accompany the claim form.
- Uncashed Warrant Claim Form
- Affidavit Regarding Lost or Missing Warrant
- Standard Operating Procedures – How to File for an Uncashed Warrant
- W9 Form
A claim involving a dispute regarding a contract between the State of Nebraska and the Claimant. The Contract Claim Act does not cover employment contracts under the State Personnel System or the State Employees Collective Bargaining Act.
- State Contract Claims Act: Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 81-8,302 to 81-8306
- Contract Claim Form
- Standard Operating Procedures – How to File a Contract Claim
A foster care claim may be filed when a foster child(ren) has been involved in an incident resulting in property damage or bodily injury to others.
A claim for first responders killed in the line of duty. (Program Begins 1 January 2022).
- LB 255 – In the Line of Duty Compensation Act
- Line of Duty Compensation Act Beneficiary Form
- Line of Duty Compensation Act Claim Form
- Standard Operating Procedures – How to File a Line of Duty Compensation Act Claim