Administrative Services


File a Claim

A claim against the State of Nebraska and/or a state employee must be filed with the Office of Risk Management/State Claims Board.  The State Risk Manager, along with the State Claims Board, has the authority to consider, settle, determine and allow any tort, miscellaneous or contract claim filed against the State.

To file a claim, you must submit the appropriate claim form to the Office of Risk Management. Upon submission, the allegations of the claim will be investigated and decided. Please be advised that claims under $5,000.00 may be approved by the State Risk Manager. Claims ranging from 5,001.00 to $50,000.00 must be approved by the State Claims Board. And claims above $50,001.00 must be approved by the Nebraska Legislature.

Hearings are conducted quarterly by the State Claims Board to ascertain claims. The dates of the hearings are posted in the Office of Risk Management and under the State Claims Board tab. The hearings are informal pursuant to the Open Meetings Act and the claimant does not need to be present for the claim to be heard. Claims will be heard before the Nebraska Legislature once a year.

Corresponding Statutes:

Administrative Services | 1526 K Street, Lincoln, NE 68508 | 402-471-6500

Privacy Statement | Security Information | Acceptable/Intended Use Policy | Accessibility Policy

Contact Webmaster