Administrative Services

MATERIEL - Surplus Property


Fixed Asset Information

SECTION 3: Frequently Asked Questions

  • What items must be listed on the NIS Fixed Asset System?

    See Section One of this manual for more specific guidance. The current minimum limit for state property is $1,500. Agencies have the authority to set this limit lower, if desired.

  • Which items should be sent to Surplus Property and which items should be destroyed?

    This is a question that cannot be generically answered for all instances. Generally, items of surplus property that are in useable and saleable condition should be sent to Surplus Property after coordination has been made for delivery. Items that are not in working condition or are not in good enough condition to be sold should be destroyed by following the procedures outlined in this manual.

  • What does saleable mean?

    Again, a question that cannot be answered for all instances here. The suggested method for determination is to contact the Surplus Property office and describe the items that may be in question. Remember, the items that are accepted at Surplus Property are for sale to other agencies, political sub divisions, or eventually the public at large. Surplus Property does not want to accept any property that has no value or no more expected life. For example, for chairs that means, no rips, tears or large stains, no missing casters, no broken backs. For desks, no missing drawers, no broken or missing legs, must be able to support more than it’s own weight and have a good appearance. It means no burned out monitors or non-working televisions, or space heaters that are unsafe to operate. Again, a test or criteria that should be used is that the equipment must be in serviceable condition. Surplus Property does not want to accept any known broken, inoperative equipment. Surplus Property also want to make reasonable assurance to all personnel who buy from Surplus Property that although no property is guaranteed or warranted, we are not selling equipment that will have to incur expensive repairs to make it operational.

  • What about large appliances?

    Appliances generally are accepted. Again, keep appearance and general cleanliness in mind.

  • But can’t you sell some of these things for a small or token amount?

    Yes, but at what expense to the State and the taxpayers? If it costs the State more to process and transport an item than it can make by selling that item, the State is losing money and consideration must be given to the most economical method available within the parameters on which we operate.

  • What about computers?

    This is one of the most common questions received by Surplus Property. A large part of property and sales comes from computer and related electronic equipment. Following are some general guidelines: (1) Again, we do not want to accept computer equipment that does not work; (2) We accept very, very limited mainframe computer equipment; there is just not the demand for this equipment; (3) any PC that is "pre 486 processor" speed we also have no market for and will not be accepting; and (4) We need to restrict monitors to minimally accepting 14" monitors, we do not want monitors smaller than 14" and again, if the monitor screen is scratched we don't want it. Again, if you have a question regarding whether the equipment will be accepted at Surplus Property, call ahead.

  • Items that are not accepted at all?

    Hazardous materials and items containing hazardous materials, or items exposed to and contaminated by hazardous materials will not be accepted by Surplus Property. This includes asbestos, chemicals, explosives, radioactive materials, biohazard materials, etc..

  • Why can’t Surplus Property accept everything sent and throw away the items that will not sell?

    The volume of surplus items and limited resources do not allow for the extra effort and expense involved in handling items that way. It also is not in the best interests of the State to be paying to move items back and forth.

  • When can I deliver items to Surplus Property?

    Surplus Property has established delivery time tables for each auction period. We have limited space to support all agencies in the State. Generally, the two weeks prior to each auction are off limits for sale and receipt of item. This is necessary to do the actions required to prepare for each auction and obtain an accounting of all property by Surplus Property staff.

  • Can the State sell items directly to private individuals or charities?

    No, statutes require that surplus items be offered for sale to other State agencies, political sub-divisions and organizations that directly receive tax monies. Private organizations, individuals, and charities are welcome to purchase items that are offered for sale, through the sealed bid process or that are sold at public auctions. If you have questions regarding the eligibility of an individual organization, please feel free to contact Surplus Property.

  • What if I still am not sure how to handle some items?

    Call the Surplus Property office at (402) 471-3896 and we will be glad to help you in any way that we can.

Administrative Services | 1526 K Street, Lincoln, NE 68508