PROVIDER: Aetna Life Insurance Company
Life Insurance & AD&D
The State of Nebraska provides you with basic life insurance coverage at no cost to you. You decide if you want additional life coverage for yourself, your spouse and your dependents. Benefits are provided by Aetna.
Life insurance provides important financial protection for your family in the event of your death. Whether single or raising a family, you should examine your lifestyle and consider what level of protection is appropriate based on your financial and family obligations.
Basic Life Insurance
The State provides eligible full-time employees with a basic life insurance benefit of $20,000 at no cost and to eligible part-time employees for a minimal monthly charge.
Supplemental Employee Life Insurance
You may elect to purchase additional life insurance coverage for yourself. You pay the entire cost for supplemental life insurance. You may purchase one supplemental life plan for yourself in amounts .5, one, one and a half, two, three, four or five times your annual salary.
Optional Dependent Life
You may also purchase optional life insurance for your spouse and dependent children.
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance (AD& D)
AD&D insurance pays benefits if you die or suffer certain serious injuries as a result of an accident. AD&D insurance provides coverage on your life while you are employed by the State. The loss must occur within 90 days of the date of the accident, and you must be covered under the plan on the date of the accident.
AD&D benefits are based on a Principal Sum, which is $5,200.
The AD&D benefit is paid based upon the type of loss you suffer. The benefit for loss of life will be paid to your beneficiary and all other benefits will be paid to you.
2018-19 Plan Information
2017-18 Plan Information
Life Insurance Forms
- Evidence of Insurability Statement Life Coverage - PDF
- Application for Conversion of Group Term Life Insurance - PDF
- Attending Physician's Statement - PDF
- Proof of Death Form - PDF
- Life Premium Waiver (Disability) Form - PDF
- Request for an Accelerated Death Benefit - PDF
- This site contains information on coverage available to State employees who are eligible for insurance benefits.*
- The State of Nebraska offers comprehensive insurance benefits to permanent*, full-time employees. Part-time employees who work 20 or more hours are also eligible for insurance benefits. Participation in the State's insurance program is voluntary. The State contributes 79% of the health insurance premium, 100% of the basic life insurance coverage, and 100% of the Employee Assistance Program cost (for participating agencies). All other insurance plans are offered to employees at a group rate.
- Employees' contributions to the health and dental insurance plans are tax-sheltered under Internal Revenue Code 125. Anyone who participates in the health or dental insurance plans will pay their portion of the premium with before-tax dollars, which are automatically deducted from the employee's paycheck. The State also allows permanent employees to participate in two Flexible Spending Accounts, the Medical Reimbursement Account, and/or the Dependent Care Account. *
- As a State of Nebraska employee, you will have the opportunity to select from insurance benefits listed for your specific employee-group type.