ACTIVE & TEMPORARY EMPLOYEE BENEFIT
Health Savings Account (HSA)
With the introduction of the Consumer Focused Health Plan, the State of Nebraska is offering eligible employees the opportunity to open a Health Savings Account, managed by Optum Bank. An HSA is a personal bank account that you own, and it allows you to save money out of each paycheck on a pre-tax basis.
You can use the money you save in your HSA to pay for qualified medical, dental and vision expenses, such as doctor visits, prescriptions and hospital visits, or you can save the money for a future need – even retirement. The way you use your HSA will depend on your health care needs and your savings goals. Spend or save. The choice is yours.
2016-17 Plan Information
2017-18 Plan Information
- These documents do not go into effect until July 1, 2017.
- 2017-18 HSA Information - PDF
- 2017-18 Authorized Agent Agreement - PDF
- Eligible HSA Expenses - PDF
- This site contains information on coverage available to State employees who are eligible for insurance benefits.*
- The State of Nebraska offers comprehensive insurance benefits to permanent*, full-time employees. Part-time employees who work 20 or more hours are also eligible for insurance benefits. Participation in the State's insurance program is voluntary. The State contributes 79% of the health insurance premium, 100% of the basic life insurance coverage, and 100% of the Employee Assistance Program cost (for participating agencies). All other insurance plans are offered to employees at a group rate.
- Employees' contributions to the health and dental insurance plans are tax-sheltered under Internal Revenue Code 125. Anyone who participates in the health or dental insurance plans will pay their portion of the premium with before-tax dollars, which are automatically deducted from the employee's paycheck. The State also allows permanent employees to participate in two Flexible Spending Accounts, the Medical Reimbursement Account, and/or the Dependent Care Account. *
- As a State of Nebraska employee, you will have the opportunity to select from insurance benefits listed for your specific employee-group type.